As part of communicating more what happens with the Booksonic project I thought it might be a good idea to show what the Bridge will look like.
Important to know is that most parts of the bridge currently doesn’t have an interface but as they are created I’ll add them to this post.
Last updated: February 15, 2018
Here I try to answer the most common questions I get regarding Booksonic. Depending on what the problem you are experiencing is the answers may not always apply to you. If the answer doesn’t help you or you have a problem that is not mentioned here do the following
- Restart the app
- Do the thing that fails
- Go to the main screen of the app
- Tap the dots at the top right
- Tap “Send Log”
- Enter a description of the problem and then send it to me, I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Another great resource for getting help with Booksonic is to go to the Booksonic Reddit and ask the question there. You can find it at https://reddit.com/r/booksonic
The app is just showing white and then crashes when I open it
This can sometimes happen if you dont have a profilepicture set on the server.
Go to the server in the browser and then Settings -> Personal then select a Profile/Personal image and click save.
There will be a fix for this in a later version of the app.
I can’t connect to the server outside of my network
Make sure that you have portforwarded the port you are using in your router. The default port is 4040. Also make sure that you are specifying the port when you try to go to the server. It should look something like this http(s)://example.com:4040
I can connect to the server in the browser but not in the app
Make sure that you enter http:// or https:// at the beginning of the adress and :4040 at the end. If you are using docker or tomcat, make sure to also include /booksonic at the end.
The app keeps crashing when I do X, please help
To be able to help you I need to see the log file. See the list at the top of this post for instructions on how to send me one.
The server sais “Folder not found” when I try to use a network location
This is due to how windows handles permissions. I have posted instructions on how to fix it at https://popeen.com/2016/05/27/using-a-network-shared-folder-in-booksonic/
Casting to Chromecast fails
This will happen if you use a self signed certificate as Chromecast does not support those. There is a workaround for it in the app that you can enable. Go to Settings -> Playback and enable Use device as a proxy, this should fix your problem.
What is the difference between cache and permanent cache?
Files that are cached by Booksonic will normally be automatically removed to make space for newer files once you have reached your cache limit. If you download them using permanent cache they will never be deleted automatically.
When I try to reset my password it says reCaptcha v1 is shut down, can I still reset it?
To reset your password do the following
- Log on to the machine hosting the server
- Stop the server, verify that you can’t reach it in the browser
- use notepad to open c:\booksonic\db\booksonic.script, make sure that you set notepad to Any file or you won’t see it.
- Press CTRL + F and search for INSERT INTO USER VALUES
- After your username you will see enc:lots of numbers
- Replace all the numbers that are before the ‘ sign with 626f6f6b736f6e6963
- Save the file and close notepad
- Start the server
You can now sign in with the password booksonic, make sure the first thing you do is change your password.
If you are running it on a Linux machine the file is probably located at /var/booksonic/db/booksonic.script
Is Booksonic open-source?
Yes! Booksonic is indeed open source. The server is a fork of the Subsonic server and the Android app is a fork of the DSub app.
You can find the source code for Booksonic at https://github.com/popeen
I have a great idea for a feature, how do I contact you about it?
You can send it to my email at [email protected], open an issue at https://github.com/popeen/popeens-dsub or post it on https://reddit.com/r/booksonic
While I might sometimes be a bit inactive in posting on GitHub or Reddit I always keep up to date with what is posted.
If you know how to code and want to implement the feature yourself, go for it. Once you are done, send me a pull request on GitHub and as long as the feature doesn’t break compatibility with regular Subsonic servers I will most likely accept it.
I recently got a question regarding using a network shared folder in Booksonic so I thought it would be a great idea to show how you can do this.
- Press the windows button and R at the same time
- Type services.msc and hit enter
- Look for the service called Subsonic, rightclick it anc click on properties
- Go to Log On and make sure the checkbox for This account is checked then enter the login information for an account that has access to the shared folder.
- Hit ok and then rightclick the Subsonic service and restart it.
Now you should be able to use your network share within Booksonic without problems.
Obs, keep in mind that you can’t use a mapped location, you need to use the full path, as an example mine is \\PopeensDataServer\D\Audiobooks or \\192.168.1.4\D\Audiobooks
Last night I released the first full release of the Booksonic server. So whats new in this new Booksonic server? Well check out the changelog
* m4b files are now supported out of the box!
* The server is installed as Booksonic instead of as Subsonic
* Book descriptions and narrators are shown in the web GUI
* Music only features has been hidden in the web GUI, they are still there and will work fine if you use them in other apps.
* Design tweaks
* The API has been updated to show if the server is up to date.
But it’s not only the server that is getting an update, so is the Android app. A few minutes ago I uploaded a new version of it to Google Play and it
should be live in a couple of hours is live. Here’s the changelog for that.
* The app will tell you if the server is outdated
* If app is in Swedish it will look at boktipset.se before checking Google Books if the server has no book description
* Added a classic theme to bring back the old Booksonic design
* Design tweaks to drawer (sidebar)
* Sleeptimer will reset the counter if you shake the phone
* Server and account info can optionally be included in import/export
To celebrate the first none beta version of Booksonic I have decided to have a giveaway where the 10 first people to comment on this post will get the app for free on Google Play. To get the app you need to enter a valid email when you comment so I have somewhere to contact you, this email will not be published as long as you only enter it in the email field.
As usual if you have any questions/suggestions/bugreports regarding the new versions of Booksonic you are more then welcome to submit them to the issue trackers at GitHub. Here for the server and here for the app, or as a comment on this blog.
No codes left but you can still get the app for only $3 at Google Play